< Back to Blogs


As Good as Gold: Cash for Gold

Gold Jewellery

It may have crossed your mind to find how much your gold or diamond jewellery is worth, but you’ve not taken the leap, turning your curiosity into action. If you knew there would be no obligation and that it would cost you nothing to find out, would this help in motivating you? The Gold Avenue wants it to be simple and straightforward, and in the best interests of all parties. So, if you’re considering having your jewellery evaluated, keep in mind that valuations can be subjective, and you may receive different opinions from different jewellers or other evaluators. The aim at The Gold Avenue is to give you the fairest, most honest appraisal, based on our years of industry expertise.

Valuations for jewellery can be carried out for four different reasons, according to the purpose. It could be to ascertain the insurance value, retail value, second-hand value, or the estate value. The most important factor when going through the evaluation process is choosing the right person for the job. Gold Avenue prides themselves on being transparent with you from the beginning, never forceful and always discreet. A sale is never forced – only once you’re entirely confident you want to get.

Jewellery evaluation is a complex process that requires knowledge and experience. Whether you’re looking to get cash for gold to pay for your dream holiday, or pay off a more serious bill, it’s good to know where you stand, and what to look out for.

The first step is to determine the purity of the metal used. As gold is a precious metal, the evaluation expert will need to consider its carat, which is a measure of its purity. There are four types of gold jewellery: 9, 14, 18 and 22 carats. 24 carat gold, also called fine gold, is the purest form of gold. However, due to its softness and vulnerability to damage, it cannot be used for the production of jewellery. The most common used in jewellery making is 9 and 18 carat gold.

The Golden Carat: What’s the difference between them

If you’re looking at getting cash for gold, a good step forward is to understand the difference between carats. 

22K Gold

22K means that 22 parts of the metal amount to gold and the rest two parts are some other metals that make the texture of gold harder, thus making the metal durable.

With 22K gold, only 91.67% is pure gold. The remaining 8.33% consists of metals like silver, zinc, nickel or other alloys.

18K Gold

18 karat gold comprises 75% pure gold mixed with 25% of other metals like copper or silver. It is highly suitable for making studded and diamond jewellery and is less expensive as compared to 24K and 22K. We therefore find an abundance of 18K jewellery. It has a rich yellow tone with a slightly dull shade that makes it desirable for exquisite gold and diamond jewellery pieces.

Jewellery made out of 18k gold is suitable for daily wear, and the lower number of metals makes it a better choice for people who suffer from any metal allergies. 9K gold is also very common in jewellery making. Find out what your items are worth, without any obligation to sell. When the time is right and you decide you would like cash for gold, The Gold Avenue would love to assist.